As a kid, I remember spending endless summer days in my family’s sunroom, enjoying the beautiful outdoor scenery while being sheltered from the sun’s intense heat.
However, as I grew older, I realized that the lack of proper ventilation made the space unbearable during the hottest days.
That’s where sunroom exhaust fans come in. These devices are specifically designed to improve air circulation and keep your sunroom cool and comfortable all year round.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about buying and installing sunroom exhaust fans, including their benefits, different types available, and key factors to consider when selecting the right one for your space.
3 Best Sunroom Exhaust Fans For You
If you’re looking to make your sunroom a comfortable retreat from the summer heat, you’ll need a top-quality exhaust fan to keep the air flowing.
Here are our top three picks for the best sunroom exhaust fans on the market.
|Factor||HG Power Exhaust Fan||Ventisol Shutter Exhaust Fan||JPOWER Shutter Exhaust Fan|
|Power Source||AC||Corded Electric||Corded Electric|
|Style||Modern||20 inch with Power Cord||Industrial|
|Product Dimensions||7.9″D x 12.6″W x 12.6″H||12.52″D x 23.43″W x 23.43″H||10.02″D x 15″W x 15″H|
|Room Type||Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, Living Room, Home Office, Garage, Attic, Chicken Coop, Shed, Workshop, Dining Room||Bathroom, Kitchen||Kitchen, Bathroom|
|Special Feature||Water Resistant||Automatic aluminum shutters||Bladeless|
|Recommended Uses for Product||Exhausting, Cooling, Ventilating||Air Circulation||Shop, Factories|
|Mounting Type||Wall Mount||Wall Mount||Wall Mount|
|Control Method||Remote||Remote||Mobile App|
|Maximum Airflow (CFM)||647||3500||1800|
|Fan Blade Material||Metal||Aluminum||Aluminum|
|Number of Blades||4||5||3|
|Noise Level (dB)||52 db||68 db||75 db|
|Power Consumption (W)||42||120||63|
|Special Installation Requirements||None||1.65 Meters Power Cord Kit included||Thermostat required for optimal cooling|
|Warranty||12-month warranty and 24-hour customer service||12-month warranty||12-month warranty and a 5-year warranty for fan motor|
HG Power 10-Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan with Mesh Screen
- Modern design with black color.
- Electric exhaust fan with AC power source.
- Measures 7.9 inches in diameter and 12.6 inches in width and height.
- Suitable for various rooms, including the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room, home office, garage, attic, chicken coop, shed, workshop, and dining room.
- Water-resistant with a unique feature to protect your home from outside stuff.
- Can be used for exhausting, cooling, and ventilating.
- Wall mount installation with a detachable steel mesh screen for easy cleaning and added protection.
- Made of commercial-grade material with rust-resistant and weather-resistant properties.
- Comes with an 8ft long power cord, 100-120V US power plug, and ON/OFF switch.
- Produces low noise with a noise level of 52 dB.
- Has four rust-resistant blades that can produce an airflow capacity of 647 cubic feet per minute.
- Has a speed of 1400 RPM and requires 42 watts of power.
- Control method can be done via button control or remote control.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor usage.
- Comes with a user manual, mesh screen, exhaust fan, and cord.
- The fan is the right size for small spaces like a shed, garage, or studio.
- It moves air well and has great performance.
- It has a simple rocker on/off inline switch and a long cord for easy use.
- It is easy to install and has low noise.
- The mesh screen has an excellent mesh that can reduce the airflow
- It is perfect for use in a coop, as it is quiet, and the birds do not seem to mind its installation.
- The bug screen can be difficult to install and requires removing the fan from the mounting housing.
- Requires making your own holes for the mounting bolts to work.
- The louvers do not open completely, so the rated CFM is impossible.
- The fan may not have enough power to open the shutter and may require wiring it open manually.
- Some users have had to bend the blades down to clear the screen slightly.
|HG Power 10-Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan||Price|
|Check Price on Amazon|
VENTISOL 20-Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan Wall Mounted
- Designed to remove excess heat and moisture from various spaces such as home attics, workshops, welding rooms, factories, warehouses, barns, and greenhouses.
- Comes with a 6 Ft universal extension power cord kit for easy installation.
- Rugged all-metal structure with corrosion-resistant aluminum fan blades, shutters, and steel wire guards for added longevity and preventing corrosive rust from forming.
- Features automatic gravity shutters that open and close with the operation of the fan, protecting the fan from rain and other elements when not in use.
- Produces a powerful airflow of 3500 CFM on high with a speed of 1309 RPM for better air circulation.
- ETL certified – the most rigorous safety and quality standards of the North American industry.
- Wall-mounted design with five aluminum blades and a button or remote control for easy operation.
- Suitable for use in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Dimensions: 12.52″D x 23.43″W x 23.43″H
- Weighs 9.7 pounds.
- Effective in removing excess heat, moisture, dust, and odors.
- Rust-proof aluminum blades improve air velocity.
- Weather-resistant aluminum shutter and corrosion-resistant wire guards.
- Fully enclosed motor with permanent lubrication and heat protection for simple maintenance.
- Strong and moves a good amount of air.
- Works well in rodent rooms, attics, greenhouses, and chicken coops.
- Smooth and quiet operation.
- Louvers may be tight and not open and close automatically.
- Louvers may flap in a lot of air and make a rattling noise.
- Some users may prefer a built-in speed controller.
- Mounting hardware is not included.
|VENTISOL 20-Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan Wall Mounted||Price|
|Check Price on Amazon|
JPOWER 12-Inch Exhaust Fan Wall Mounted
- The JPOWER exhaust fan is designed for industrial use and is an excellent replacement for AC units in attics, garages, greenhouses, shops, and chicken coops.
- The shutter fan features automatic aluminum shutters that help with cooling and ventilation and can easily be installed in window openings or walls with a thermostat for optimal cooling.
- Made of rust-proof aluminum blades and shutters, this industrial-grade fan is highly durable and resistant to corrosion, which increases the product’s longevity.
- The bladeless design of the JPOWER exhaust fan provides safety and easy maintenance.
- With a wattage of 63 watts and a voltage of 120 volts, the fan runs at 1750 rpm, producing an airflow of 1800 CFM and a speed of 11m/s.
- The control method for the JPOWER exhaust fan is through a button control or a mobile app.
- This product is designed for indoor use and has product dimensions of 10.02″D x 15″W x 15″H, with a weight of 8.13 pounds.
- Affordable price point.
- Can effectively remove cigarette smoke and fumes from enclosed areas.
- Can be used for cooling and ventilation purposes.
- Good quality and well-made.
- Relatively quiet operation.
- Comes with cage and louvers made of high-quality metal.
- Powerful enough for small to medium-sized spaces.
- Can be installed in windows or walls.
- Company offers customer service and provides helpful installation information.
- Some models come with shutters to keep the rain out.
- No switch or cord included; must be purchased separately.
- Motor may be overrated for some models, resulting in less powerful airflow than advertised.
- Some customers received fans with bent blades.
- Installation instructions are unclear and may require additional research or help from customer service.
- May cause heat and cooling loss through the louvers and may require additional measures such as filters to address this.
- Electrical box connected to the fan does not come with a nut to tighten the electrical cord, making it easier for the cord to come loose or fall out of the box.
|JPOWER 12-Inch Exhaust Fan Wall Mounted||Price|
|Check Price on Amazon|
How To Choose The Right Exhaust Fan For Sunroom Ventilation System?
When it comes to selecting the right exhaust fan for your sunroom ventilation system, there are several factors to consider.
From the size of the room to the fan’s location, each of these factors will play a crucial role in ensuring that your sunroom is properly ventilated.
Here are some key factors to keep in mind when choosing the right exhaust fan for your sunroom:
Size of the Sunroom
The first thing to consider is the size of the sunroom. The size of the room will dictate the size of the fan you need.
You want to ensure that the fan is powerful enough to provide adequate ventilation for the entire space.
If the fan is too small, it will not effectively circulate air and remove moisture, potentially damaging your sunroom.
Type of Fan
Exhaust fans come in a variety of designs, including inline, ceiling-mounted, and wall-mounted models.
Ceiling-mounted fans are a great option for sunrooms with high ceilings, while wall-mounted fans are best for rooms with limited ceiling height.
Inline fans are installed within the ductwork and are a great option if you want to keep the fan out of sight.
The airflow capacity of the fan is another important factor to consider. This is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM) and determines how much air the fan can move per minute.
For sunrooms, you want to choose a fan with a CFM rating that can provide adequate ventilation for the size of your room.
The fan’s noise level is another crucial factor to keep in mind.
Sunrooms are often used for relaxation and entertaining, so you want to make sure that the fan is not too loud and will not disrupt the peace and quiet.
Look for fans with low noise levels to ensure they won’t be distracted.
An energy-efficient fan is better for the environment and can save you money on your energy bills.
Look for fans with an Energy Star certification, which implies that they meet strict energy efficiency policies.
This will help ensure your sunroom stays comfortable without running up your utility bills.
The fan’s location is also an important consideration. You want to make sure that the fan is installed in a location that will provide the best ventilation for the room.
In most cases, the fan should be installed near the ceiling, as warm air rises and can be removed more effectively from this location.
By considering these factors, you can ensure that your sunroom stays comfortable and well-ventilated, regardless of the season.
How To Install A Sunroom Exhaust Fan? – A Comprehensive Guide
Installing a sunroom exhaust fan can greatly improve air circulation and help maintain a comfortable temperature inside your sunroom.
Proper installation is essential to ensure efficient and safe operation of the fan.
In this guide, I will walk you through the step-by-step process of installing a sunroom vent fan, along with the necessary tools and measurements.
Step 1: Determine the Ideal Location
- Choose a location that provides maximum airflow throughout the sunroom.
- Make sure that the location is close to a power source.
- Measure the dimensions of the fan and the location to ensure a proper fit.
- Measuring tape
Step 2: Cut a Hole in the Sunroom Wall
- Mark the fan’s location on the sunroom wall using a pencil.
- Use a jigsaw or reciprocating saw to cut a hole in the wall according to the dimensions of the fan.
- Smooth out any rough edges around the hole using sandpaper.
- Jigsaw or reciprocating saw
- Safety glasses.
Step 3: Install the Fan Housing
- Insert the fan housing into the hole and secure it in place using screws.
- Seal any gaps around the housing with caulk to prevent air leaks.
- Caulk gun
- Silicone caulk.
Step 4: Connect the Wiring
- Turn off the power supply to the sunroom.
- Connect the wiring following the manufacturer’s instructions, ensuring the wires are properly grounded.
- Secure the wires in place with wire nuts and electrical tape.
- Wire strippers
- Wire nuts
- Electrical tape.
Step 5: Mount the Fan Blades
- Attach the fan blades to the motor assembly according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ensure that the blades are securely fastened and balanced.
Step 6: Install the Fan Cover
- Attach the fan cover to the housing using screws.
- Test the fan to ensure that it is functioning properly.
Step 7: Seal the Fan
- Apply a generous amount of silicone caulk around the edges of the fan cover to prevent air leaks.
- Use a caulk smoothing tool or your finger to smooth out the caulk and create a tight seal.
- Caulk gun
- Silicone caulk
- Caulk smoothing tool.
By following these steps and using the necessary tools, you can easily install an exhaust fan and ensure optimal performance.
DIY Maintenance Tips For Your New Sunroom Exhaust Fan
Just like any other appliance, your sunroom exhaust fan needs some tender loving care to maintain optimal performance.
With these simple DIY maintenance tips, you can keep your fan running smoothly and enjoy a comfortable and well-ventilated sunroom all year round.
Clean the Fan Blades Regularly
- Turn off the power supply to the fan before cleaning.
- Use a soft cloth or a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to gently clean the fan blades.
- Avoid using water or any harsh chemicals on the fan blades as this can damage the motor.
Check and Clean the Fan Cover
- Remove the fan cover and check for any debris or dirt that might have accumulated inside.
- Use a soft cloth or a vacuum cleaner to clean the cover thoroughly.
- Inspect the fan cover for any cracks or damage that might affect its performance.
Lubricate the Fan Motor
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions for lubricating the fan motor.
- Use a few drops of lubricating oil to lubricate the bearings and other moving parts of the motor.
- Avoid over-lubricating the motor, as this can cause excess oil buildup and damage the motor.
Check the Fan Belt
- If your sunroom exhaust fan is belt-driven, check the fan belt regularly for wear and tear.
- If the belt is loose or damaged, replace it immediately.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for belt replacement.
Check the Electrical Connections
- Regularly check the electrical connections of the fan for any signs of corrosion, loose wires, or damaged insulation.
- If you notice any issues, turn off the power supply to the fan and contact a professional electrician to make the necessary repairs.
By following these DIY maintenance tips, you can keep your sunroom exhaust fan running smoothly and efficiently.
As you sit in your newly installed sunroom, feeling the gentle breeze of fresh air and enjoying the view of your garden, you can’t help but smile at how effortless it was to make this dream a reality.
From understanding the key features of the right sunroom exhaust fan to selecting the right model and installing it easily, you have successfully transformed your sunroom into an oasis of fresh air and tranquility.
With the comprehensive guide and tips provided, you can rest assured that your investment will continue to bring you joy and comfort for many years.
What is the difference between a ventilation fan and an exhaust fan?
In simple terms, a ventilation fan invites fresh air into an enclosed space, while an exhaust fan kicks pollutants out of the same space.
Think of it like a revolving door – one side welcomes the good stuff in while the other side sends the bad stuff out.
So whether you’re looking to bring in a breath of fresh air or keep out unwanted odors, there’s a fan out there to suit your needs.
Is it OK to leave exhaust fan on all the time?
While it may seem convenient to leave your exhaust fan on all the time, it’s not recommended due to the potential risks involved.
Running the fan continuously can cause wear and tear on the motor, eventually leading to a malfunction and even a fire hazard.
Additionally, leaving the fan on when you’re not home to monitor it can be dangerous, as you won’t be able to hear any smoke detectors or alarms if a problem arises.
It’s best to use the fan only when necessary and turn it off when you leave the room to avoid any potential risks or damages.
Can I put wd40 in exhaust fan?
After cleaning the filter hood of your exhaust fan, you can apply WD-40 by spraying an appropriate amount according to the amount of grease buildup on the fan.
However, it’s essential to be cautious and not use an excessive amount of the potent liquid.