Are you too busy with your work to make a house cleaning checklist? Haven’t you done your laundry yet? Are there dirty dishes in the sink? Fresh laundry piled up on your bed that needs to get ironed and stacked in its respective drawer? Books all around on your table that need to get back to their shelf place?
And last but not least, do you want to get all of your nerves back together and feel like you live in a clean house with no doubts?
But you don’t know how to clean a house professionally.
Then there’s a piece of good news and a piece of bad news for you. The good news is this post is all about house cleaning hacks, and the bad news is there is no bad news. Lame pun, but still understandable.
Anyway, here are house cleaning checklists for keeping a clean house:
Gather necessary tools for cleaning your house
Make a list of the essential tools to perform the cleaning process. You will not need anything high-tech or fancy.
Here is your deep household cleaning checklist of the essential tools.
- Vacuum or broom with a hard flooring setting
- Steamer or mop
- Paper towels or cleaning clothes like rags or dish towels
- Microfiber cloths
- Spray bottle
- Plastic bucket
- Scrub brush
- Dish soap
- Glass cleaning solution
- All-purpose cleaner
- Rubber gloves
Choose your frequency
Make an entire list of the jobs you should do. Choose a cleaning schedule to break down the jobs into segments or seasons. This will make the cleaning more manageable for you. For example, devote a day of the month to deep cleaning. Mark them on your calendar. Set a separate time for each job.
When you are working on a specific cleaning job, don’t think about anything else. Just keep your mind busy with what you are doing right now.
If you have a habit of deep cleaning your house regularly, it will be much easier for you to clean.
Start Your Day by Making the bed
As soon as you get up, the first thing you should do is make your bed up. Some people might think it is a waste of time as it will get dirty by night anyway. But that is a wrong idea because if your bed is tidy your productivity will also increase. And it does not even take much time, just a couple of minutes.
Make a daily bedroom cleaning checklist, and this will help you to keep your bed clean also. If your bedside table is messed up, clean that up too.
Arrange your clothes
Take the washed clothes and arrange them inside your closet. You should do this every day, or your washed clothes will be mixed with your dirty ones, and that will create a messy situation. So, it’s better to just clean up.
Also, keep a hamper bag beside your closet to toss your dirty clothes in the morning when you are getting ready. Never pile up or throw clothes on a chair or table. That way, you will never put those up.
Take It Out, Put It Away
If you take something from somewhere, let’s say you want to read a book, and you take it out from the shelf. After reading it, you should put it back where it was.
This house cleaning plan is very effective. So, practice this and make your family members abide by this rule also.
Never leave a room empty-handed
This is a great practice and is very handy. If you for some reason leave a room, always remember to take something that needs to be shifted to another room or somewhere else. This way, you will not be wasting time, and you will also be cleaning up.
Keep baskets in every room
Keep a basket in all of your rooms so that you can throw the dirt of each room in their respective room baskets. Also, clean up the room baskets once a week.
Wipe down your coffee table and side tables
Does your favorite TV show start in a minute? Hurry up and get a wiper and sit before the TV. AND when the inevitable commercial breaks begin, go and wipe up the coffee tables and side tables of your living room. This way, you can chill and clean at the same time.
Take out the trash and recycling when you leave the house
Are you going out? Then take the trash bag along with you. This way, your trash will not get piled up inside your house, and you will also be saving time.
Dejunk and declutter your home
You should start cleaning by decluttering. Get a decluttering tool. Don’t dive into your house cleaning checklist first. You will have to clean fewer things if you perform the decluttering first.
Check every corner to remove trash. Fix the out-of-place items. Arrange the misplaced items of your house.
The more items you have in your house, the longer it will take to clean your house. So throw away anything that isn’t beneficial to you. Remove the items that cause unnecessary stress or do not spark joy in your house.
Start cleaning room by room, purge, and closet by closet. Bring two baskets and a garbage bag. Find out all the trash items in your house and put them in the garbage bag.
Once you have completed it, look into the garbage bag to find out the misplaced items. Put them back in their places. You can donate your unused items to a poor person.
Makeup sections to put stuff. Like, make a section or space near the door where you can keep keys and locks. Make a section or keep a drawer to keep shoes. By maintaining this method, things will be arranged, and your house will not be messy.
Wash your dishes immediately
Do not kwep your dirty dishes for the morning or later on. Just start up your Bluetooth speaker and clean the dishes while listening to The Beatles. You can also do this during commercials of your favorite TV show. But the point is you need to clean up.
Clean as you cook
You should practice the strategy of cleaning up while cooking. This will help you to be a free bird after you are done cooking as you will not have the tension of cleaning up. Keep this in your daily cleaning checklist to have a clean kitchen.
Everyday A Little Something
Follow this motto to make your house look nice every day. Never have this idea that you will clean up everything in one day.
Clear And Wipe Your Counters Daily
Cleaning the counters every day will make your house actually very clean. This might sound hard, but once you start doing this, you will love your house.
You will feel like you are breathing in the fresh air. Even you will feel fresh. And if you have time, add up bathroom counters to your routine as well.
Keep Basic Cleaning Supplies Close
Keep bathroom cleaning tools near your bathroom, your dishwashing tools near the kitchen sink. This way, it will be easier for you to clean up.
Do a 15 Minute Nightly Clean-up
Set up an alarm and do 15 minutes clean-up every night. This will help you to not only build up time management skills but will also get you extra bonus points in that house cleaning checklist of yours.
If you have a tight schedule and have very limited time to clean up, then make a list of the things that are a must to be cleaned up. Prioritize the work that needs to be done. Not all cleaning is equal.
Adopt this detailed cleaning list to make your disaster zone into a clean and healthy zone. Not only do you involve your family members as well. This way your house is going to be nice and fresh year long.
There are some tasks that everyone should do on a daily basis. In comparison, there are other jobs that you can do once a year. It’s important to make a routine of cleaning your house. Here is your house cleaning checklist daily, weekly and monthly.
Daily cleaning checklist
Here is a flexible daily cleaning schedule that will make cleaning easy for you-
- Make beds
- Sanitize kitchen sinks
- Squeegee shower walls
- Wipe down bathroom surface
- Sweep floor
- Wipe down counters and tables
- Wash dishes
Weekly cleaning checklist
A cleaning schedule should not keep you away from enjoying your life. Here is a weekly cleaning checklist that will fit easily to your schedule.
- Throw out kitchen sponge
- Vacuum floors
- Clean the inside of the microwave
- Throw out expired food items
- Wash bedding
- Dust furniture
- Clean mirrors
- Scrub bathrooms
- Mop floors
Monthly Cleaning checklist
We are here to help you with the monthly cleaning chores. This checklist will allow you to stay organized. Here are the checklist –
- Clean dishwasher and dryer/washer
- Dust blinds
- Dust light fixtures
- Every 3-6 months
- Carefully deep clean freezer and oven
- Vacuum mattresses
- Wash comforters and decorative pillows
- Clean behind furniture
- Wash shower curtain liner
- Clean the kitchen range
- Wipe down the inner part of the fridge
Annual Cleaning checklist
There are some house cleaning tasks that you don’t have to do weekly or monthly. But they are not negligible. Here are the annual cleaning checklist–
- Clean out gutters
- Wash curtains and drapes
- Clean vents
- Deep clean upholstery and carpets
- Clean chimney and fireplace
Start cleaning your house with the checklist above. Make a house cleaning schedule that will suit your family.
Kitchen cleaning checklist
Between quick breakfasts, late night meals, parties, and get-togethers, kitchens take a nasty look. Splatters, spills, and crumbs make it hard to clean your kitchen. To make things easy for you, here are our kitchen cleaning checklist-
- Mop and sweep floor
- Don’t go hard on cleaning products in the water. This will prevent build-up.
- Wash inside and around the sink
- Soak knobs and stove drip pans in the sink
- Clean the inner part of the microwave
- Wipe your stovetop down
- Clean the outer parts of appliances ( dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator)
- Wipe down kitchen cabinets and countertops
- Begin cleaning from the immediate right part of your stove
Bathroom cleaning checklist
You don’t have to clean your bathroom daily if you deep clean them once in a month or two. Your bathroom will not need a frequent cleaning if you follow this checklist-
- Replace wastebaskets, bath mats, and rugs
- Clean the floor with a cleaning solution in the bucket and let it dry
- Shine the faucets
- Spray some glass cleaner on a towel and buff to clean the mirror
- Wipe down cabinet faucets
- Clean the vanity countertop
- Rinse the rag and your sink
- Use a grout brush along with the faucet and drain
- Scrub sink
- Spray all-purpose cleaner on the countertop
- Use the grout and tile cleaner to clean
- Wash the walls of the shower/tub and dry with a towel
- Clean shower track
- Wash the shower rack/soap dishes
- Scrub the shower/tub walls and door by stepping on them
- To clean between the tiles, use a grout brush
- Fill your bucket with water and ¼ cup all-purpose cleaner, and baking soda for cleaning the floor.
- You can use an all-purpose cleaner to clean everything except the mirror, shower/tub, vanity, and toilet.
- Apply tile and grout cleaner and let it sit
- Wet shower/tub walls with hot water
- Place a bath mat in the shower/tub
- Remove everything from shower/tub
- Remove the wastebaskets and rugs if you didn’t perform vacuuming
Bedroom cleaning checklist
To clean your bedroom, you have to remove clutter, perform dusting, vacuum, and arrange your closets. You will need to do a couple more things-
- Put a mint on your pillow
- Fold laundry and put it in the dresser
- Organize the sock drawer
- Straighten the bed
- Make your bed
- Put the vacuumed furniture at their places
Window Cleaning Checklist
Remove the window frame and scrub the screen. Use an all-purpose cleaner and warm water to scrub the window. Use a bristle brush for scrubbing. Rinse the window frame with an outdoor hose and put the clean windows back to dry.
Clean, hard-to-reach, and large with a professional quality squeegee.
You can also use a streak-free glass cleaner. Avoid spraying too much. Lastly, wipe down with a newspaper.
Tips for How to Clean a House
You can clean your house in a million ways. But most of us do not have the time and motivation to invest so much time in cleaning. So, you should pick the perfect house cleaning checklist.
Printable house cleaning checklists will let you visualize the end product. Download a house cleaning checklist pdf or a house cleaning checklist template to make cleaning fun.
- Divide and conquer– If you do cleaning in a group, it is easier. In this way, each person can perform different tasks. There are some specific tasks that some people like, while others do not. You can divide the tasks according to their choices.
If you want to clean your house fast, bring more people to your team. Appoint your wife or a kid to help you out or give them a cleaning task. In this way, you can finish cleaning the house in a short time.
- Clean one room at a time– You might make a plan to clean all the windows at once. But it will be better for you to clean one room at a time. It will give you satisfaction knowing that one room is clean. It will create less convenience for the family members also. Clean one room and move to the other one. Make a house cleaning checklist by room.
- Give yourself a reward– Cleaning the house is not an easy job. It will make you feel nice if you give yourself a little reward. We get motivated when we get rewarded for something. If your wife or your kids helped you out, buy them something nice. In this way, you can make cleaning exciting for you and your family members.
- Make a list– If you follow a cleaning checklist printable, you can get a perfect vision of the final product. Knowing how clean your house will look will make you finish the work in a short time. You will get the satisfaction of cleaning your room.
When to Get a Deep Cleaning
Deep cleaning is something that we do not frequently do. We normally get this service before any occasion or after moving to a house.
Performing a deep cleaning before moving into a new house will give you a fresh start. You don’t have to worry about the grime and dirt from people who lived here before.
You can also schedule a deep cleaning before moving out of your old house. Doing deep cleaning before moving out or selling your house will raise the price. The new owners will surely love the fresh look of your house.
Schedule a deep cleaning before a big event or party. Before hosting an event at your house, a deep cleaning is a must. You don’t want your guests to see grime and dirt in your appliances.
While spring cleaning your home, do a deep cleaning also. Follow a spring cleaning checklist. Spring clean will give you an extra-fresh feeling. In countries where it is very cold in winter, spring cleaning is a must.
What is the best house cleaning checklist app?
A clean and clutter free-home will make you feel relaxed. But keeping track of your household cleaning schedule and checklist can be a difficult task. From handling the pile of laundry to dusting the furniture, a basic house cleaning checklist app can be beneficial.
Let us show you some of the best new house cleaning checklist app-
- Home Routines
- House cleaning list
- Our home
- Cleaning checklist
- Clean my house
What is the professional house cleaning checklist?
- Changing linen
- Dusting ledges, window sill, and windows
- Cleaning light fixtures and door handles
- High and low dusting
- Emptying trash
- Mopping and sweeping floors
- Vacuuming carpets and floors
How can I make a house-moving cleaning checklist?
Let us help you make a house moving cleaning checklist-
- Deep clean any tubs, showers, toilets, and sinks
- Clean out all the cabinets and cupboards
- Clean mirrors and windows
- Dust the ceiling fans
- Wipe down all the doors
- Give your house a brand new paint
- Remove nails from the patch holes and walls
Should I make a deep cleaning checklist before selling my home?
Yes, you should call a cleaning service. A deep house cleaning checklist will give your house a new and better look. A deep whole house cleaning checklist before selling your home is-
- Remove dust from the vents and fan blades
- Clean the light fixtures
- Wash your baseboard and the hardwood floors
- Clean the counters and walls
- Clean mirror and glasses
- Deep-clean the toilets, bathtubs, and sinks
- Carefully wash the oven, dishwasher, and fridge
Is cleaning your house before rental checklist-
Who does not love the fresh smell of a new house? You can make your old house feel fresh by doing a deep cleaning. Let us show you a house rental cleaning checklist-
- Get a microfiber cloth to wash away the dirt of the ceiling fan blades
- Wipe door handles and light switch plate with cleaning wipes and soapy water
- Wash the walls with warm water and dish soap
- Clean corners and ceilings
- Remove everything you have left behind
We hope this article has provided you with everything you need to know about the house cleaning checklist. You don’t have to stumble upon dirt, rust, stain, smudges, or dust spots in your house. Follow our checklist and grab the cleaners for regular cleaning.